Lindsay Blanton announced that the Live Audio portion of Radio Reference is being moved to a new entity called Broadcastify on 10/15/2012. This sounds like the perfect move to me as it brings the community back to Radio Reference as a reference source as it was back in the trunkedradio.net days and not an audio provider/reference.
Update: Broadcast Launch is a soft launch on Oct 16 and/or Oct 17, which entails feeds on both RadioReference and Broadcastify in parallel, allowing for a more smooth transition per this post.
With the move of the live audio portion, providers of the scanner audio will no longer be receiving a complimentary premium Radio Reference membership but will be receiving a $6.95/month premium Broadcastify membership at no charge for volunteering their scanners audio for the feeds.
This will allow us to better focus RadioReference.com on it’s core service, to be a reference source. Broadcastify will provide a stand alone entity to focus on the live audio feeds.
It seems there is a few feed providers that are upset about the change as they appear to have only provided a feed to RadioReference.com to defer the $30 a year for a complimentary premium subscriber membership – instead of providing their scanner audio for the sake of the radio hobby, which is sad. A few providers have already cut their feeds, but in my opinion, that just opens up a slot for feed providers that want to volunteer just to volunteer. If you have a scanner and would like to provide audio to the upcoming Broadcastify, read this: Becoming A Feed Provider
Here are a few changes coming in their move to Broadcastify:
- 180 days of archives for all regular feeds
- 365 days of archives for official feeds
- Official feeds will have access to audio trimming capabilities
- Notable incidents section for storage of interesting audio archives
- Revamped feed alert system
Premium Features ($6.95/month)
- Access to feed archives
- customized player page for managing favorite feeds
- Email and SMS alerting for listener counts, feed alerts, and other user defined criteria
- No advertisements
- Unlimited listening times on the Web players